Avatar Shopping Community Knuffel Quests Donate My Account Help

Jump to:

[ 2 posts ] 
why are you bringing your homework to kofk?
so that i don't use kofk to procrastinate so much  13%  [ 4 ]
i mean if i can do homework ON KOFK  13%  [ 4 ]
i won't be running away from it  16%  [ 5 ]
2 birds with one stone, genius amirite  58%  [ 18 ]
Total votes : 31
 Post subject: study journal/chat
Posted: Sep 9th, '18, 11:31    

chuunibyou

Hugs: 105353
Mood: spiritual
i need more motivation with homework so i'll be posting about stuff i learn while studying or doing assignments. feel free to discuss with me if you feel like. i think it'd make it something i look forward to more, or internalize better, if i talk about it. some of it will be interesting. it'll all be pretty varied topics. hope that doesn't make it confusing for potential lurkers/chatters (if the mention of homework/studying hasn't already driven everyone away!)

sometimes it'll be snippets of homework because i'm trying to keep track. you can ask about the snippets, too.

(0) (0)
Come chat with me at my hangout thread!
Stroctoperry wrote:Because KofK trumps homework, for some reason.
Death Candy wrote:I just realized that "take out" means food, dating, and murder. And if you were a female praying mantis you'd have all three.
Akili Li wrote:People talk about bravery in these super dramatic terms like it only applies to soldiers going to war, but for all that I think true courage is found in the hard every day moments of social interaction and standing up for what you believe in even when it's not life-or-death, when it's instead a matter of approval-or-ostracization among people whose opinions you care about. That's harder, to my mind. That's an ongoing, you have to live with it forever thing, instead of one single moment that's the exception instead of the rule.

First fairy found 28th May 2015
Second fairy found 11th May 2017
Third fairy found 9th Jan 2024

Post subject: Re: study journal/chat
Posted: Sep 9th, '18, 12:53    

chuunibyou

Hugs: 105353
Mood: spiritual
bits of Shantideva's 'Way of the Bodhisattva' then i'm supposed to render in my own words. idk who translated.
verses 90-109 rendered as premises, under the cut.
Spoiler
1. i have different body parts but they're all the same- as part of my body. they're equal because they all need to be protected. similarly everyone's joys and sorrows are equal because everyone is the same- in wanting happiness and avoiding suffering.
2. my pain doesn't hurt others but it hurts me because i take it as my own.
3. i don't feel others' pain but i take their pain for my own so i'm hurt too when i feel compassion.
4. pain is just pain no matter whose. living bodies are just living bodies no matter who. so i should dispel all pain and help all bodies.
5. if i don't avoid others' pain because it doesn't hurt me, then by the same logic i shouldn't guard myself against future pain because it doesn't hurt me (in the present). but i do guard myself against future pain, so i shouldn't avoid others' pain.
6. if others should protect themselves from their own pain and i don't think i should interfere, then by the same logic, my separate body parts also should protect themselves from their own pain without interference from other parts of my body. but i need to protect various parts of my body. so i need to protect others from pain.
7. if i think compassion makes me feel pain you needn't feel otherwise, i should think of the pain of the one whom i am compassionate to, and how lesser my pain is to that pain.
8. if the pain of my compassion will cure many other sorrows, then because i harbour love, i must strive for this compassion.
9. Everyone must be freed, and be happy, not just me.

(0) (0)
Come chat with me at my hangout thread!
Stroctoperry wrote:Because KofK trumps homework, for some reason.
Death Candy wrote:I just realized that "take out" means food, dating, and murder. And if you were a female praying mantis you'd have all three.
Akili Li wrote:People talk about bravery in these super dramatic terms like it only applies to soldiers going to war, but for all that I think true courage is found in the hard every day moments of social interaction and standing up for what you believe in even when it's not life-or-death, when it's instead a matter of approval-or-ostracization among people whose opinions you care about. That's harder, to my mind. That's an ongoing, you have to live with it forever thing, instead of one single moment that's the exception instead of the rule.

First fairy found 28th May 2015
Second fairy found 11th May 2017
Third fairy found 9th Jan 2024

[ 2 posts ]