Avatar Shopping Community Knuffel Quests Donate My Account Help

Jump to:

[ 5 posts ] 
How often do you feel like an imposter in your life?
Always  9%  [ 2 ]
Only in a large group  0%  [ 0 ]
At work  0%  [ 0 ]
Occasionally  32%  [ 7 ]
I'm an open book  5%  [ 1 ]
Food?  55%  [ 12 ]
Total votes : 22
 Post subject: Imposter Syndrome
Posted: Feb 8th, '23, 21:58    

lunar_eclipse66

Hugs: 73473
Mood: I can hear the wires pullin'
Hey all, a few people who know me on this site know that I suffer from some hardcore social anxiety, but I don't think I've ever been truly specific about what it is, and I think its about time I talk about it. I, like many other individuals out there, suffer from imposter syndrome.

For those who don't know, imposter syndrome is a subset or special type of social anxiety that is tied to how people view you. There are even different types of imposter syndromes but usually most people who have it feel like they acting or are an imposter in life and have to keep this charade up of being a particular person. For many people, including myself this brings up a fear of failure and makes you feel isolated.

For my case specifically I feel like I nee to demonstrate that I am competent in everything I do and any sort of failure or mistake is a sign of weakness that people are gonna judge me for. Basically I am my own worst critic.

I'm bringing all of this up because talking about it and explaining to people that I have it has been my way of overcoming it and lessening the stigma I put on myself.

I know it sounds contradicting because it would feel like exposing yourself, but if anyone else suffers from this feel free to chat about it. If you don't suffer from it and just want to ask questions feel free, part of my personal therapy is about slowly lifting the mask and talking about this subject that keeps me super vulnerable.

(0) (0)
Real talk for a moment: Can we Go back to that month that Pokemon Go was released. Everyone was so happy and the only people down my throat were old men at work who complained about a cell phone app kids were playing. Can we have that? Please.
I have a hangout now but its rather lonely. Wanna come in and read a story?
We're All a Little Bit Insane Inside...
I'm an artwhore: x-broken-wish-x Silly Chu

Post subject: Re: Imposter Syndrome
Posted: Feb 13th, '23, 00:02    

Amura

Hugs: 64530
Mood: Glad to be back! ^o^
I'm gonna sound extremely ignorant, but I thought that the imposter syndrome was a fairly common phenomenon but not a diagnosticable mental health issue. I often refer to it in common language whenever I have an overachiever student who for some reason doubts of each and every thing she does.
So for me it's fascinating (although not surprising) that there is a link with social anxiety.

Anyway I think what you do is really brave and absolutely necessary. We need to talk more about our mental health - with diagnosis or without it!
As a society we don't talk about it enough, which makes us feel so alone and stranded - when there is so many people suffering each and all of the different issues.
You would not believe how many teenagers feel "isolated" just because they put an stigma on themselves, just like you said you did.

Keep it up! :qh:

(0) (0)
G U I D E - F O R - N E W - M E M B E R S

. A v a t a r . I t e m . G u i d e .
A work on progress, but already quite a bunch of sets to check!

Posted: Feb 13th, '23, 02:26    

lunar_eclipse66

Hugs: 73473
Mood: I can hear the wires pullin'
To be honest I've heard it used as both and I think it comes down to the severity and if it is paired with some sort of anxiety disorder. My therapist used the term to describe some of my issues a few years back but said it basically just gets lumped in with anxiety.

I've heard of it also just used as a common phenomenon to describe people who are desperately trying to fit in with their surroundings or to prove themselves in their profession.

With my issue in particular I used to just break down when ever someone pointed out a flaw or even suggested I wasn't as good in something. It would be one thing if I was just nervous or a little sad, but I've had full blown panic attacks.

Thanks! I've been coming to terms with the idea that it's better to talk about these things in the past few years. I think some of that can be attributed to my husband being super supportive.

(0) (0)
Real talk for a moment: Can we Go back to that month that Pokemon Go was released. Everyone was so happy and the only people down my throat were old men at work who complained about a cell phone app kids were playing. Can we have that? Please.
I have a hangout now but its rather lonely. Wanna come in and read a story?
We're All a Little Bit Insane Inside...
I'm an artwhore: x-broken-wish-x Silly Chu

Posted: Dec 8th, '23, 08:20    

Outline

Hugs: 6111
Mood: Illustrating
I'm working on a beautiful mixed media collage right now. I love it. It's part of my personal goal as an artist to make my collages look less like collages when they're done. People know I paint, draw, or illustrate, and they love that stuff. I just feel like if they found out that what my current project was they'd see me as a sham. :/

(0) (0)
~A woman can dream~

Posted: Dec 14th, '23, 23:24    

wolfcat87

Hugs: 10879
Mood: Interested
I put on a good front, so people assume I'm much more capable than I feel I am. When they start just assuming I can handle everything, I tend to get overwhelmed, crumple, and shut down.

(0) (0)

[ 5 posts ]