[ 34 posts ] 
Which book would you choose?
Poll ended at Jun 23rd, '18, 21:58
Kim Harrison - Dead Witch Walking  50%  [ 1 ]
Philip Pullman - The Ruby in the Smoke  0%  [ 0 ]
Anne Rice - The Wolf Gift  0%  [ 0 ]
:food:  50%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 2
 Post subject: Re: Let's read together...
Posted: May 13th, '18, 21:43    

Addicay

Hugs: 5548
I really like this book. And Clarice.

So Clarice is on the case too and she wants to know more from Hannibal. Crawford is really reserved. But I think this is because of his experience with Dr. Lecter.

I enjoyed the scene with Rode and Pilch, the two entomologists and am curious what the meaning behind the cocoon may be.

Clarice made her first impression on tv. ;) That scene was a bit unconfortable because of her powerlessness and the typical bahavior of the reporter.

I really am no good in this, I really don't know what to discuss. I think I need other opinions to say something more. ^^°

(0) (0)

Posted: May 15th, '18, 01:52    

Ms_Zuralli

Hugs: 24266
Mood: Done being an adult
Yahoo Messenger: halloween_azurill
Sorry for the late response, the sudden heat wave here in Georgia has gotten to me, and it doesn't fell good or awesome. Sometimes I hate living in the south...

The book is really good, though I'm still reserved about Clarice, which is my opinion for most lead female characters in thrillers honestly.

She handled herself very well with that "Valentine's" gift, though I am curious why Hannibal decided to give her that bit of information and why a patient would share that with him regardless of the confidentiality laws.

You are right about Crawford being reserved due to his experience with Hannibal. I also think he is trying to give Clarice a chance to think for herself in a sense as well whenever he comes off cold as he is taking a student along for the proverbial ride while also trying to teach her. Though I don't feel comfortable with the way that the officers, and the male side characters in general, have been treating her. It is very rude and degrading at times, even though that was the norm for those times. Though the officers did straighten up and listen when she brought in her accent and kind of made it seem like she was basically from there.

I found the scene with the reporter amusing, as Clarice did give warning. I wonder how that assistant would have reacted had she had her FBI credentials on her. Did she have her credentials on her? I don't remember reading that...

The scene with Rode and Pilch grossed me out. I have intense entomophobia, and I kind of felt, and still feel, my anxiety rising even with finding a little amusement with the scene. It is very curious why the cocoon would be used. Though I'm not sure what it could symbolize, maybe it was used because it would be more resilient to water than putting the actual moth there? I guess we'll eventually find out.

I think you're doing good, discuss whatever sticks out to you, your opinions or different things, everything or anything.

(0) (0)
ImageImage

Posted: May 15th, '18, 01:54    

Fran

Hugs: 34424
Oh, I love this idea!
I don't know how far you guys are in the book, but it seems like you just started not long ago?
(Trying not to read the posts so I don't get spoilers if I join you guys.)
I assume I can just catch up depending on what week you're on?

(0) (0)
`♥ } - knuffel f/p. | `♥ } - quest thread. | `♥ } - materials thread.
                    • [list][list]
      [/list][/list]

Posted: May 15th, '18, 06:26    

Ms_Zuralli

Sure, the more the merrier. We've read up to chapter 15. We haven't decided yet how many chapters we're gonna read by sunday yet though. So far it's been 7 chapters every week.

(0) (0)
      ImageImage

Posted: May 15th, '18, 17:14    

Addicay

Fran: You are more than welcome. As Ms_Zuralli said, we are only a good hundred pages in the book and have to decide how much we want to read till this sunday. Only two weeks in.
      Well, I think we can say again 7 Chapters. What do you both think?

Ms_Zuralli: Do you know why you are reserved about female lead characters in Thriller?
      I know one I liked so far, Smoky Barret by Cody McFadyen. BUT it is also a bit over the top. I mean I can't take it seriously.

My first thought with the Valentines Gift was: Oh no, don't touch anything! :mcheh: And then it appeared to only be a mannequin... and then... not. That was gross. Maybe Hannibal wants to make himself more interesting for Crawford. Dr. Lecter said himself he wants something from him - but Crawford doesn't talk to him.
      And yeah... why had Raspail told Lecter THAT. But since he is a psychiatrist, he may manipulated his patient?

Yes, Clarice handled the officers well. And I liked that she told Crawford she found his behaviour "between men" intolerable.

At the scene with the reportes Clarice didn't have her credentials. And I think she only got an ID for a very short amount of time - maybe 2 weeks? I don't remember that.

Okay, with entomophobia this was hard to read for you, that is understandable. And so I won't say much to this part.

And now I want to read some more. It is fun to finally talk about a book. It makes it a bit more intense. "A Song of Ice and Fire" was the last I wanted to constantly talk about, but I found noone. And I didn't knew if there is much to talk about in any of the books that I wrote in the poll. They were just on my SuB. :qhehe:
      I hope for recommendations for the new poll.

Have a nice day :sflw:

(0) (0)

Post subject: Re: "Let's read together..." #1 The silence of the lambs
      Posted: May 15th, '18, 21:43    

Ms_Zuralli

I think the reason I'm reserved is that too often in books, particularly fantasy and thrillers, the main female character is great at first, then as the book goes on it is terrible character build up or something that makes me not like them in the end. Taken with the fact that I don't often understand what other women are thinking or feeling anyway, it makes it hard for me to understand why the female lead is feeling what they're feeling or understand some actions. I'm weird.

The Valentines gift scene was gross, I don't think I would have wanted to enter that car at all. But I honestly thought it was a mannequin as well. Then it's like "well that's dandy, we got our first corpse on our hands...". Hannibal can want all that he wants, I don't believe Crawford is going to cave unless something drastic happens. And after what happened with Will Graham, as that keeps being brought up every so often, Crawford is definitely not going to talk to him.

It very well is possible for Hannibal to convince Raspail to tell him things like that, and after a description of this guy, he seems weak enough willed to have done it with no true issue, but still. I think if I ever murdered someone and hid them as well as Raspail did, I would never tell a soul.

My phobia is a pain in my ass honestly. If it's important to the discussion or an interesting point\scene, please feel free to talk about insects, as this is one of those books that it will probably be unavoidable either way.

I'm glad you're enjoying yourself. This is honestly very nice. I didn't realize how much I enjoy discussing books with people til you started this book club. Thank you :mcglee: "A Sond of Ice and Fire" is on my list of eventual reads. Because of my knitting addiction it's not often that I read physical books.

I recommend "The Wolf Gift" by Anne Rice. She's one of my favorite writers.

(0) (0)
      ImageImage

Posted: May 19th, '18, 08:45    

Addicay

We are going on a trip this weekend, I'll be writing monday afternoon. :sflw:

(0) (0)

Posted: May 20th, '18, 02:44    

Ms_Zuralli

Okay, have a safe trip :mccute:

(0) (0)
      ImageImage

Posted: May 22nd, '18, 23:30    

Ms_Zuralli

The last batch of chapters was interesting in a way.

I suppose making a senator's daughter a victim would heighten and expedite things, as you now have a government official hounding you. Though to be honest, I don't think I would have even thought to leave my apartment to help a stranger out of the blue like that. My self-preservation is pretty high from living in New York. Plus common sense dictates that you don't do things like that when it's the middle of the night. I'm also curious as to how witnesses were saying that they saw her enter and exit her apartment, but didn't see what she was up to or see that a man with a van was there.

I kind of, but not really, understand why Crawford didn't bring Clarice with him when he first got the call. I don't think she would have been taken seriously because of her student status and Senator Martin, from the rough portrayal that other character's give her, would not have found it comforting or appealing to say the least if Clarice was introduced, even though she would be with Crawford. Plus there would have been enough people on the scene as it was. It's interesting that Crawford keeps sending Clarice to deal with Lecter, when he himself won't. But I suppose that comes from Clarice being the only one that Lecter has actually spoken to, and sending Crawford in would be giving Lecter to much.

I was not expecting a transgender person to be the killer. At the beginning of the chapter I was wondering what this character had anything to do with anything and if they were gonna become another victim because of the connection that Crawford and Clarice made with Klaus and the other female victims. Did not see Gumb actually being the being the killer. Nice plot twist.

I really don't like Chilton, whoever gave him his certificate should be shot. This man is very unprofessional, especially when dealing with Clarice. It's quite honestly disgusting, coupled with the fact that whenever she turns him down he acts like a child about it. I somewhat think he's jealous of Lecter and all that he achieved before he was found out to be a cannibal and a killer. He is not subtle in his actions and Crawford was right to give instructions to bypass him but whatever means necessary, though I do believe Clarice would have done that regardless.

(0) (0)
      ImageImage

Posted: May 24th, '18, 16:11    

Addicay

Sorry, there were a few things that needed my attention. But now I am back. :mcwink:

It was almost painful to read how Clarice waited for Crawford. I mean she packed her thingsup only to be disappointed. I didn't know if it was to be prepared or if she had her hopes to high. But in the end she got her way.

Jame Gumb wasn't something I expected. And I seriously found the situation with the dog disturbing. There are often this kind of relationships to dogs in books which gave me chills - I don't really know why.
      And this basement. Muah. There wasn't much information about Catherines condition.

Chilton is a wretched creature. In a way I feel sorry for him. He is alone... this does something to people. But Clarice did handle him well. It's sad that he can't be trusted.

So there will be the next interview with Dr. Lecter. I really want to know what Klaus got to do with everything. And was it really Jame?
      Ms_Zuralli wrote:Though to be honest, I don't think I would have even thought to leave my apartment to help a stranger out of the blue like that. My self-preservation is pretty high from living in New York. Plus common sense dictates that you don't do things like that when it's the middle of the night. I'm also curious as to how witnesses were saying that they saw her enter and exit her apartment, but didn't see what she was up to or see that a man with a van was there.
      I live in a little town - in the countryside. And I wouldn't do such a thing when I am alone!
      I always wonder how little witnesses can add to the investigation. People tend to look away. I never understood that.
      It's interesting that Crawford keeps sending Clarice to deal with Lecter, when he himself won't. But I suppose that comes from Clarice being the only one that Lecter has actually spoken to, and sending Crawford in would be giving Lecter to much.
      I think I will read Red Dragon as well to understand Crawfords attitude a little better. But you are right, he won't give Lecter that.

I think we could read a little more, the following chapters are really short. This sunday should work out!

Edit: I stopped reading after chapter 34, before Clarice is going to talk to Lecter again.

This Chilton is going on my nerves. Why have people be like this? What if he ruined everything? The only good thing is, that Senator Baker thinks he is some kind of idiot. That was satisfying.

That Jame thinks of Catherine as material didn't shock me. And I don't know if I find it sad or disturbing. That he sat hours to watch this creature shows his obsession.

This Krendler guy got it all wrong. Was he intimidated by Clarice, or was it just his order? What's his problem? I am glad that Clarice has decided to do something before she flights back. What will she find out when talking to Lecter? Is she able to detect the lie? Will she find the reason for his behaviour?

And what if Lecter escapes? Because that is something he thinks of and even Barney doen't trust the new facility.

I really want to read more, so I think up to chapter 48. You don't maybe have time on weekdays so that we can end this book sooner?

Edit. Again.
      I think I wait for an answer... maybe some day this coming week? If not, next sunday I end this book.

So, yes, I ended the book. It was a good read. I liked the outcome and I think Clarice was great. She stood her ground.
      I also like that she is goin to date this guy. Ups, was it Pilch or Rode? I don't know but I forgot it already. :mcheh:
      And Hannibal did really escape. That was a gruesome event!

So. Don't know what I would like to discuss, but if somebody has any opinion, feel free to write it down.

I hope we try this again? I really hope there are some users out there who like to join.

(0) (0)

[ 34 posts ]