I'll sit this one out  16%  [ 13 ]
I'm definitely doing...this poll  54%  [ 44 ]
Total votes : 82
 Post subject: Re: Ye olde megacontest ♥ WINNERS POSTED
Posted: Nov 18th, '18, 17:19    

Chrizine

Hugs: 115537
Mood: Elusive Crumpet
Hahaha, you should give it a try, I think there's some really good deals for unique things on there :)
I went pretty much straight to etsy because I knew that I wouldn't get the kind of high quality princess dress I was looking for in any ordinary store. I didn't want a standard evening gown, but also not something that is made as a cheap costume.

(0) (0)
My personal Quest thread:

And my buying thread!

My crafty hangout thread, where I talk about my sewing and crocheting projects and would love to hear about any kind of projects you do (or just come chat, that's fine too!):
Most urgent wishes currently:

ImageImageImageImageImage
Ehlenia Eyes (Aqua), Eyrion Fan (Claret), Jiniri Hair (Mocha), Lunar Night Banshee Hair (Blue White), Bat Momma Eyes (Ecru)

Check out jacobgrey's awesome interactive Harry Potter Fanfiction thread!

I'm on Flight Rising and Tattered Weave as well- feel free to friend me!

Posted: Nov 18th, '18, 18:20    

jacobgrey

Hugs: 136802
Mood: (◡‿◡)
Ugh also cheap costumes can be SO expensive. I rented one for a fancy dress thing once that was like £50 for a day. So I could have paid twice that to actually permanently own something of a much higher standard. So annoying.

(0) (0)
SELLING OLD FP SETS
First fairy 8.4.15; 2nd 7.6.17
My books ~*~ My magazine

Posted: Nov 18th, '18, 18:28    

Popodoki

Hugs: 113609
Mood: #TFnation23
So many people go for ball gowns on sites like Wish or Ali and just yiiikes really? I think of Etsy for that kind of stuff as well c':

At the very least the difference in material is like wow

I demand pics of the ensemble Chrizine! It sounds beautiful ~

I can only mostly show stock pics, don't have a lot of worn pics of them ;o

I have two Alice in Wonderland dresses

- in ivory
- in pink
-- worn pic

one Cinderella dress

- in blue

and this is my 'Aurora' dress :P

(0) (0)

♥ Stefanie | 31 | infj | ace ♥
♥ Talk abt Transformers | Lolita fashion with me ♥

Posted: Nov 18th, '18, 20:47    

Chrizine

I actually looked into renting costume stores in my area and figured it's basically just a tiny bit cheaper than buying something and I don't get to keep it, so I quickly decided that wasn't for me.

Yeah, with etsy, not everything might be super professionally done (like for example the seam of my skirt doesn't look super awesome, when you look closely, and there's some asymmetry in the corset), but at least it's not some super cheap fabrics and images that have nothing to do with what you actually get. I always like when sellers are like "this thing in the picture is the actual item you are getting", like, it's not just some standard thing they make and the first time they took a pic, no, you see what you buy.

I'll definitely take some pictures on the day :)

I love the design of the cinderella dress! So cute! :qh:
And your aurora dress looks fantastic, too. Totally not my colour, I'd look horrible in that, but a beautiful design :)

(0) (0)

And my buying thread!

My crafty hangout thread, where I talk about my sewing and crocheting projects and would love to hear about any kind of projects you do (or just come chat, that's fine too!):

Ehlenia Eyes (Aqua), Eyrion Fan (Claret), Jiniri Hair (Mocha), Lunar Night Banshee Hair (Blue White), Bat Momma Eyes (Ecru)

Posted: Nov 18th, '18, 20:58    

Popodoki

Reviews are also usually far more honest on Etsy, and I value other people's reviews a lot esp when they include pictures! On Etsy you're also usually dealing directly with the people, not 'the company' and that can really help when discussing any possible issues as well.

I love that shade of pink and can hardly find it on other dresses, it makes me look really pale but eh that fits the Disney Princess aesthethic I guess haha

(0) (0)

Posted: Nov 18th, '18, 21:34    

Chrizine

Yes, that is true as well, etsy usually has really helpful reviews :)
True, the sellers are usually really nice, like the one for my tiara. I contacted her about the shipping time and she went and contacted her shipping provider to find out what the different options were they could give for sending to my country and whether they could guarantee it would arrive in time. I went for the cheaper option where they said it was highly likely to be there in time but not guaranteed, but otherwise I would have paid again the price of the item in shipping, so... I'm hoping :D But I thought the seller was really nice to figure out all the options for me so I could make an informed choice :) Also really fast at getting back to me and really fast at actually getting the item shipped once the sale was final to maximize my chances :)

I don't wear pink at all, it never suits me :D But that one is a really interesting shade, I like it much more than most pinks. I'm not huge on pink in general though, probably partly because it doesn't look good on me ;) My favourite colours tend to be the ones that make me look good :D

(0) (0)

And my buying thread!

Posted: Nov 18th, '18, 21:47    

Popodoki

I found a really sweet custom HP jacket once, made in Singapore. It's listing said they didn't ship to Belgium but after sending a message the seller was really quick and nice and I got my embroidered jacket cx

Half the time I don't even get a proper reply on sites like ebay/aliexpress, all auto generated stuff

Ah I feel that, I don't look good in orange but it remains one of my fave colours c':

(0) (0)

Posted: Nov 18th, '18, 22:14    

Chrizine

Ohhh, that sounds lovely.

For me the colour I like best that doesn't suit me are a lot of blues. I don't consider them my favourite colours though. My favourites are red and green and thankfully I can wear those :)

(0) (0)

And my buying thread!

Posted: Nov 18th, '18, 22:22    

Popodoki

I like loads of colours and luckily I can make most of them work c':

only that pesky orange, and only the lightest pastel yellow looks good on me. I found a pretty vintage yellow swing dress once but wow it really didn't do me any favours xD

(0) (0)

Posted: Nov 18th, '18, 22:24    

Chrizine

That's good :)

Oh, yes, yellow can be tricky.
Orange works for me, luckily, at least the darker, more rusty shades that I like for clothing. Not sure how well I can pull off a bright orange.

I had a really beautiful blue dress for a while, but I recently gave it to my sister because it just looks so much better on her.

(0) (0)

And my buying thread!

[ 937 posts ]